- 1 (9-ounce) package Japanese unagi eel
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 3 chopped scallions or green onions or baby leeks
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla) or soy sauce
Make the rice with the salt in a rice cooker according to the manufacturer’s directions or by simmering in 1 1/2 cups of water, covered, for 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed
Start the broiler to get it hot.
In a large bowl, mix together half the chives, scallions, rice-wine vinegar, sesame oil, and fish sauce.
Skin the unagi if it is not already skinned -- it will just peel right off -- and broil it until the eel begins to color. This will take only a few minutes. Flip the eel and do the same on the other side.
To assemble, mix the rice in the large bowl containing the seasonings. Scoop into large bowls and top with the rest of the chives. Arrange small pieces of the unagi eel on top and enjoy.
Also Try: Viper Roll