KOREAN SEERFISH 大板鲛鱼
Korean Seerfish (Tat Pan) from Pontian has a hint of sweet taste in its savoury flavour that is unique and cannot be found elsewhere. Korean Seerfish is often associated and confused with Spanish Mackerel (Batang) and Spotted Spanish Mackerel (Tenggiri). Despite similar appearances, their taste and flavours can be differentiated. Among the three, Korean Seerfish is the priciest yet most popular option because of its rarity and culinary versatility. The flavour itself is quite strong and is known to be the sweetest tasting among the three mackerels. The fish can be enjoyed in many ways such as pan-fried, steamed or sliced to cook in soup.
Chinese Name(s): 大板鲛鱼
Local Name(s): Tenggiri Tat Pan
Type: Wild Caught
Cooking Method: Steam / Soup
烹煮方式：蒸 / 汤
Weight Loss after cleaning (whole fish): 15-20%
Storage: Keep frozen at -18°C. For best quality, consume within 3 months.
✅ 100% Preservative Free 绝无防腐
✅ Cleaned & Gutted 去鳞清内脏
✅ Vacuum Packed 真空包装
✅ Flash Frozen 急速冷冻
Having the strongest flavour among its cousins in the mackerel family, Korean Mackerel (Tat Pan) has become all Pontian folks’ favourite!
Korean Mackerel has a high fat content and when it’s raw, it’s firm and brown; once it’s cooked, it becomes creamy and white.
How To Make: Indonesian Style Assam Tenggiri
- 6 Spanish mackerel steak, 1/2 inch thick each, total weight 600-700 gram.
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tomatillos
- 750 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- tamarind solution
- 4 red Thai chilies
- 4 red anaheim chilies
- 8 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch kaempferia galangal
- 1 inch turmeric
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 inch galangal
- Marinate fish with lime juice and salt, set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste, bay leaves, and tomatillos until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Add the fish, salt, sugar, and tamarind solution. Cook uncover, until the fish is cooked and the sauce is slightly thickened and reduced, about 15 minutes.
Also Try: Roasted Mackerel with Garlic & Paprika